Game Based Learning & Gamification - Millersville Technology Integration Institute 2013
Here's some stuff you'll use during our session.
- You can post questions as we go to Twitter #MUtechi or @mrwalters
- I've set up a celly to back channel at.
- Yes, there is an app for that...
- You can also text @mutechi to 23559 to join the back channel.
Quest: Play Some Games
- Cut the Rope (web browser)
- Cut the Rope iOS
- Cut the Rope Android
- Where's my Water Android
- Where's my Water iOS
- If you're already a PvZ player, you may use that as well (That requires Facebook so it's up to you)
Quest: Gamification ResourcesGamification is the application of game mechanics in a non-game context, such as your classroom management system, your assessments, your grading procedures, etc. in order to increase user motivation and engagement.
- Edmodo (really a social tool but has a badge element available free)
- Chore Wars (create an avatar and be the first to clean the whiteboards! - Video)
- Class Badges
- Class Dojo
- Class Charts
- For All Rubrics (includes For All Badges)
Quest: Game Based Learning ResourcesIdentified on Twitter by the hashtag #gbl (and now the edchat: #gblfriday), Game Based learning involves using actual games in your classroom that you've selected to reach specific objectives or goals.
- Games for Change
- Teach with Portals
- Gamestar Mechanic (Gamified Game-Based Game Design... now that's meta)
- Minecraft edu (not free)
Follow up resources
Here's some Reading & Videos for further exploration...
- GBL n00b on Pinterest
- Game Based Awesomeness on Scoop.it
- Game Based Learning, Gamification, & Game Design: A n00bs guide.
- Awesome Videos to inspire Epic Classrooms
- Six Ways to Look at Badging Systems Designed for Learning
Project Based Learning Research
- BIE's research page
- PBL Research Summary: Studies Validate Project-Based Learning
- Project-Based Learning Research Review