New round-up of resources for teaching Graphic Design.

Hey Peeps,

Long time - no post.shoe

As you may or may not know, I teach seventh and eighth grad CIT.  My class is essentially charged with the mission of providing a transition point between the Elementary "Computer" classes and the High School's Business, Technology, & Graphic Arts departments.  A lot of students want to do things with computers for a career, but most are confused when they see the HS course selection guide for the first time and see no category for computer classes.  They're really floored when they see that "Technology" means "Shop"

Anyway, needles to say, my favorite part of my curriculum is the Introduction to Design, which introduces:

  • Graphic Design - Art Department

  • Photography / Photoshop - Technology Department

  • Web Design & Publishing - Business Department


I'm always looking for new resources with which to challenge & inspire these kids. Most of these make use of the Adobe Creative Suite.  If you don't have access to these applications there are open source alternatives (listed below).

Official Curricular Goodness


These resources may or may not have been posted elsewhere on my blog, but I felt it was necessary to mention them:

Teacher's in the trenches


These resources come from various blogs and articles posted by teachers who are really teaching design.

Fillers, Tutorials, & Random Squishieness


These resources keep my students engaged in design when they can't come up with their own ideas but want to "do something cool in Adobe ___".

For more, or just to keep up on what I'm finding on a daily basis: http://delicious.com/mrwalters.

Check out the following tags: design, tutorials, typography, & workflow.

My Stuff.


Okay, so my stuff is really just a bunch of other people's stuff collected in one place.  I've added my own twists to it, and it's constantly being updated:  http://mrwalters.wikispaces.com/Graphic+Design+Project

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3d Resurrection - Getting your Cube 3 Working again

What happened, Classcraft?

Why you hate group work.